Monday, July 4, 2011

Festive Feasts

For the first time in a long time, we had no plans this weekend and it was WONDERFUL.  It also gave me plenty of time to sleep in, drink some summer drinks and make some delicious food!!  Lets start off with the perfect summer drink...
 I am enjoying one of these as i speak, perfect blend of beer and lemonade.  So back to the task at hand, happy 4th of July everyone!!  In celebration of America's birthday (and a day off work) we decided to make some red, white and blue themed meals.  To start off bright and early we made homemade pancakes with blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream.
 We typically keep the dry mix in our cupboard at all times.  Regular pancakes are a weekend staple for us, but the fruit and whipped cream was a special holiday bonus.  I must say this might actually become a staple, I cut the blueberries and strawberries up and put them in the batter and then used more as topping.  They were freaking delicious.  The whipped cream just topped it all off, literally.  You must try these....not just on the holiday, more like tomorrow!!  Well since we slept in we ate late so lunch never happened today.  But dinner, ohhhhh dinner, it was so worth the wait.
So tonight we went with an oldie as the main course, steak with pepper cream sauce.  We actually used just one steak to feed both of us, that way we had more room for sides.  I have heard of the red, white and blue potato salad so that was my goal for tonight.  After sifting though numerous recipes, I found the winner, thanks Bobby Flay!  Grilled Red Potato Salad with bacon blue cheese vinigarette....sounds delicious right??  Well I can tell you positively that it doesn't just sound delicious....it is DELICIOUS!!
 Wow my mouth is still watering talking about the potatoes, but then we have to get to the cucumber salad.  This happened on a whim, we were at the grocery store and I saw cucumbers and I needed to have them.  I knew what kind of salad I wanted but I just had to find the right recipe.....here it is!!  Cucumber salad will be a need for some fresh summer meals.  I am very proud of my festive meals and new recipes.  I will be making all of these again and I urge you all to try them as well!  Happy Birthday America!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment