Saturday, July 2, 2011

The joys of the Farmers Market

Ahhh summer, there really couldn't be a better way to start the day then hitting up the Des Moines farmers market.  We might have headed out a little late but we still made our first appearance today.  Our main goal for the morning was to try the pupusas.  Honestly I didn't know what they were before and I can't honestly say what exactly they are now, even after eating one.  It was good, I wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't for my friend that owns the Gooner stand at the market, I have mentioned this before, but seriously go get some gooners from him, you won't regret it.  Anyway, point of the post is that you never know what you are going to find and buy at the market, today it was elk ribeye.  Matt really wanted to find a meat stand and today the elk won out.  So after a quick trip to Fareway we started up on dinner.  Marinated grilled elk with asparagus that was topped with a vinaigrette.  
.I found the marinade for the elk by googling elk ribeye marinades.  And then i found the vinaigrette for the asparagus by checking out foodnetwork.comI have never had elk before and I must say I will for sure be having it again sometime.  The combination of the two were delicious, def a great summer meal.  

So on the note of meat, we feel that we are set for the rest of the summer!!  Matt is great at finding the sales on meat.  Although the price has gone up, he still found some great deals.  Today we bought two whole pork loins, I believe it was about 17 pounds total.  And it was about a week ago that Matt bought a 12 pound strip loin.  He likes to cut everything himself and then we vacuum pack everything.  Our freezer is officially full.  
Matt took the cruddy parts of the pork loin and used our handy dandy meat grinder to make some ground pork.  I mean look at the picture of the freezer, it looks amazing to me!!

As far as pictures of house projects or the garden....I got nothin.  I am hoping tomorrow we get a move on some more house projects, and today we visited the garden and most of it is looking fantastic.  The cucumbers and the beans have little flowers on it, which is super exciting.  Look for more updates soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment