Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Going Green

Well I don't mean to toot my own horn...but TOOT!!  Holy cow I don't even know how to explain my past two dinners.  Seriously I am in a food coma and I don't regret a single bite!  Last night was a repeat of Garlic Shrimp Casserole, and somehow it was even better than before.  Well actually I made a few tweaks to the recipe.  I made the chicken broth mixture thicker, which helped alot.  I think the thing that helped the most was my accidental purchase of lemon pepper panko instead of regular, best mistake ever!


On to the deliciousness of tonight.  We had quite the little mexican fiesta at the Mangela household.  We had tacos, those are pretty self explanatory, tortilla, cheese, sour cream, salsa and some browned up venison (hey it was free!)  Those were good but not even comparable to the side dishes.  The first was cilantro lime rice, my mouth is literally watering just typing this.  Now I can't take credit for this recipe and neither can food network, this is all from my bff Kate Stone.  Please everyone make this soon, maybe tomorrow.


Cilantro Lime Rice
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup basmati rice
1 1/2 c chicken broth
2 T lime juice
salt
1/2 c cilantro
zest of one lime


Saute garlic with rice for a few min.  Add chicken broth, lime juice, and salt.  Bring to boil, then cook on low for 15-20 min (per cooking instructions)  When done, stir in cilantro and zest.  ENJOY!!


Ok, so the rice was great, but I have better!  Tomatillo Avocado Salsa, sounds amazing right??  Well think about the best thing you can eat, and then just know that this is even better!  As for a recipe, we make this so often that we just make it so I can only give you estimates of the ingredients.  Ok, so you will need 4 tomatillos, three avocados, a small onion, a bunch of cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper.  Just chop everything and mix together.  It is better the longer it sits, but lets be honest....I ate it immediately.  

Now I think those of you who are reading this, read it and then dismiss all my hard work on finding these excellent recipes.  So now I would like to challenge you, make at least one recipe so then reading this is worth your while.  My friend Kate made the chocolate pork chops tonight and she told me it "was a win"  I promise to not lead you to a gross recipe....just give it a shot next time you are at a loss for something to make.  


Ok, so other updates, working on landscaping sucks when it is 100+ degrees so that is on a standstill.  The garden is over run by cucumbers, which is actually awesome because now we have cucumber salad constantly.  The tomatoes or starting to sprout up, as well as the weeds!!  That is tomorrow's goal, pick more cucumbers and weed the crud out of the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment